Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
There is a story that goes with these muffins.  In the early 1990’s I was totally addicted to these muffins.  I would drive across town every morning and buy one at Bumbleberries Gas Station for $1.00.  They had a little bakery and they made them fresh every day.  One morning I bopped in and noticed something was terribly wrong.  Upon inquiry I found that they were closing and it was their last day.  I panicked and immediately asked for the recipe to make them myself.  After some coercion on my part mentioning my daily addiction and best customer status, they gave me the recipe – the only hitch was it made 200 muffins.  I successfully reduced the recipe to make only 30-36 muffins.  The story continues because my youngest son Ryan sensed a business opportunity here.  He offered to make them for me and would sell them to me for only $1 per muffin.  Of course I would provide all the ingredients and tools.  Naturally I accepted his offer - often.  Thus the legend of the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin.  It’s a family favorite.

Beat:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups sugar

Add:
4 beaten eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 8 teaspoons warm water

Add:
2 cups canned pumpkin

Mix together:
3 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Have ready:
½ cup warm water

Gently add flour mixture and warm water alternately to sugar mixture.

Add:
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

Stir.  Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.   I always  sprinkle additional chocolate chips over the top before baking.

Do not overmix ingredients and refrigerate batter betweeen oven batches.  

Bake @ 400 for 22 minutes. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment