Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Freezing Uncooked Muffins


I've done my research and I'm freezing my first batch of muffins.  That will significantly save on the the calories I'm consuming for the week.  There is nothing like making a batch of 36 muffins and then needing to eat them all right now.  I know I can bake them all and freeze them but they never have that fresh out of the oven taste that I am after.

So I am bagging them in groups of 4-6 muffins.  I lined the muffin pan with the paper cups and scooped in the batter.  Off to the freezer they go for an hour or two.  Then put them in baggies.  Be sure to remove as much air as possible when bagging.  Label them being sure to include the date and cooking temp and time requirements.

When you get a craving for a muffin, remove the frozen muffin cups from the freezer and place the muffins into the muffin tin. Do not thaw.  You can bake the muffins while still frozen by adding between five and 10 minutes to the baking time or just bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffins comes out clean.

Note for muffins made with baking powder and/or baking soda:
If you use baking soda or baking powder as a rising agent, the chemical reaction of rising occurs when you add the liquid.  Within about 15 minutes the rising action is done.  In this case it is best to cook the muffin first and then freeze the muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment