Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

American Macaroni and Cheese

American Macaroni and Cheese

One of my favorite dishes as I grew up was my mom's macaroni and cheese. I never knew it was different until I got married and found out most people use cheddar cheese in theirs. And after I had children it was hard to compete with a box of Kraft's my kids would cook.

I've given it a new life here with some interesting substitutions.

Heat oven to 350 degrees

2 1/2 cups of packaged macaroni cooked per the package instructions. I added 1 tablespoon of salt to the cooking water for better flavor and texture.  Drain and set aside.

4 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
Put these two ingredients in a large saucepan, melt and stir to form a roux.
2 1/2 cups non-dairy creamer
Stir into the roux, mixing well over medium heat.
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper to taste
Add seasonings to pot and stir.
1 pound of American cheese. Have the people at the deli counter slice it into approx. 1/2 inch slices. Tear the cheese into small segments and add to the pot. Continue stirring until all the cheese is melted and it has come to a boil. When it is done it will have a thick creamy consistency. Combine the noodles and the cheese sauce and pour into a 9" by 12" pan.
Top with bread crumbs. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Note: I often make this in small individual loaf pans and freeze them for an occasional small meal or side dish.  It makes 8-10 small pans.

Note: to make bread crumbs place 3-4 slices of bread In a blender or food processor and blend to create your own crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment